On Friday, September 10th, Leadership Resources was excited to host a roomful of clients and guests for the monthly 3% club. At this particular session, we discussed tips for effective networking, online and offline. During this session, each group came up with 3 tips to DO when networking, and 3 tips NOT to do when networking.
All of the tips were posted to the wall for people to observe and discuss. They have also been compiled and pasted below for the world to sit up and take notice.
Thanks again for all who joined us and for making this a terrific session! Feel free to pass this link onto others.
Networking Do’s and Dont’s
- Share meaningful information.
- Build a relationship.
- Sell yourself and not your product.
- Be honest.
- Keep it professional.
- Share things of relevance.
- Network with a purpose.
- Be intentional…have a plan.
- Be an interesting person.
- Be genuine and network in things that you’re interested in.
- Ask permission to use someone’s name as a referral.
- After meeting someone and identifying a mutually beneficial
- relationship, connect on LinkedIn.
- Be selective.
- Follow up.
- Do have an elevator speech ready to market yourself.
- Don’t post inappropriate material/information.
- Don’t abuse the system.
- Don’t hog the newsfeed.
- Don’t talk about yourself all the time.
- Don’t use bad language, negativity.
- Don’t overuse or underuse.
- Don’t allow everyone – don’t accept every request.
- Don’t share too much personal information with people you don’t know.
- Don’t be negative with information you share.
- Don’t falsely embellish your profile.
- Don’t be one-dimensional (only focused on one thing).
- Don’t be afraid to do something new.
- Don’t do the “hand-a-card and run” when you meet someone.
- Don’t bring up sensitive issues on first impressions.
- Don’t post inappropriate information on Facebook.